- How to: cross-stitch basics, by Anna at Mochimochi Land – Beginners, start here! I love her tip on securing the yarn tail without having to tie any knots.
- How to cross stitch tutorial, at The Purl Bee – This has some nice clear illustrations once you’ve read through the Mochimochi Land tutorial.
- A guide to fractional stitches, by Yarn Tree – For slightly more advanced patterns involving half or quarter stitches. These stitches are not difficult, but this quick guide makes it really easy.
- Fear Not the French Knot, at Wee Little Stitches – For the little dots that are sometimes used in cross-stitch patterns.
- Basic embroidery stitches, at Flamingo Toes – Some great, clear images on basic embroidery stitches. I used these to learn how to back stitch.